Getting used to new dentures takes time, and eating with your new dentures is going to take a little patience and practice. It's best to stick to soft foods while you adjust to your new teeth. Here's few of our favourite soft food suggestions to help you along.
After your extraction, and when you first get fitted for your new dentures, you will be required to stick to a diet of soft foods and liquids.
Planning ahead is the key to keeping your meals interesting and appetizing during this time.
Here's a brief list of soft foods to help get you started. It's a good idea to stock-up so that you have healthy, appetizing foods on-hand when hunger strikes.
Soft Food Suitable For People with New Dentures
- Home cooked big-batch soups
- Meats that you can cook soft, like fish or ground poultry
- Oatmeal or porridge
- Canned soups (if you prefer not to cook)
- Noodles and pasta
- Ripe avocados
- Cooked vegetables (almost any vegetable can be cooked soft)
- Well cooked leafy greens
- Soft cheeses such as: cottage cheese, ricotta, mascarpone
- Melted hard cheeses
- Soft breads for dipping
- Eggs anyway you like them
- Regular or baked beans
- A variety of sauces
- Low sodium vegetable juice
Sweet Foods & Treats
- Apple Sauce
- Muffins, pancakes, and waffles
- Fruit juice
- Ice cream and custard (when you're in the mood for a treat)
- Smoothies and milkshakes
- Bananas and other soft fruits
Having lots of soft meals ready in your fridge, will help to make those first few days with dentures a little bit easier.